Events at this location
For the 2021 Growler, we have introduced two new race courses for Sunday’s event: the 20 mile Pup and the 40 mile
For the 2021 Growler, we have introduced two new race courses for Sunday’s event: the 20 mile Pup and the 40 mile Big Bad, featuring the Aberdeen trails for the first time. These categories will be replacing the 2-lap, 64 mile Growler. Change is good, and we heard from many of you over the years about including a shorter distance Growler. And for those still looking for a longer distance challenge, the 40 mile Big Bad features our classic Growler course, with the addition of the Aberdeen loop, Hartman Rocks longest and most backcountry trails.”
25% DISCOUNT FOR ALL MIDDLE SCHOOL AND HIGH SCHOOL RACERS
We’re committed to fostering the next generation of mountain bikers. For 2021, we’re offering a 25% discount to all middle school and high school racers (based on their grade as of fall 2021).
ORIGINAL GROWLER KID’S RACES
ORIGINAL GROWLER KID’S RACES will take place on spectator, family friendly multi-lap courses at the Hartman Rocks base area on Saturday, May 29. While this event is free, we’ll still need you to stop by and sign a waiver before participating. Please visit the “KIDS RACE PAGE” for all the juicy details!
For ten years, the Original Growler has not wavered from our guiding principal of asking you to trade your hard earned dollars for three things:
- An awesome day on the bike. The Growler offers a challenging, singletrack heavy mountain biking experience on some of the finest trails on the planet.
- A killer party. Food, drink and camaraderie, post race, in downtown Gunnison (for those that still have some party left in them!)
- Top shelf trails, both existing and developing. Regardless of where you live, you become a stakeholder in Gunnison area trails as every penny of your entry fee goes directly to the 501c3 not for profit, Gunnison Trails, and Gunnison Trails’ mission is focused solely on improving and expanding area trails.
The Original Growler showcases most of the trails at the Hartman Rocks recreation area on BLM public lands. “Hartman’s,” as we call it, was chosen as one of the top 20 mountain biking destinations on BLM lands and offers a one-of-kind trail riding experience. If you have ridden Hartman’s, you know all about the magic of these high desert trails.
If you haven’t, you owe it to yourself as an experienced mountain biker to test your skills and fitness on the trails at Hartman Rocks. You’ll be forced to alternate relentlessly between fast and flow in seas of sagebrush and tricky and technical through weathered and twisted juniper on islands of granite and in the many micro canyons that pock this primal landscape. While there are no big climbs and the total vertical gain isn’t remarkable, the seesaw nature of the Growler course is a supreme test of all around mountain biking. Go ahead, commit. But be prepared to challenge your mind, your body and your skills.
- Saturday May 29, 2021, The Classic Growler – around 32-miles on the dirt*
(limited to 350 riders)
- Sunday May 30, 2021, The Pup – around 20 miles on the dirt*
- Sunday May 30, 2021, The Big Bad – around 40 miles on the dirt*
(Sunday’s starters limited to 350 riders)
may 29 (Saturday) - 30 (Sunday)
Gunnison Trails[email protected]