Introducing the Colorado Bicycle Event Coalition
The Colorado Bicycle Event Coalition (CBEC) was founded in 2008 by a small group of professional tour directors in conjunction with Bicycle Colorado. The goal of the coalition is to foster cooperation among recreational ride promoters and to provide a forum for the exchange of information and experience among the membership. CBEC maintains a master calendar of events to avoid conflicting dates and to provide a vehicle for cycling enthusiasts to navigate all of the state’s bicycling opportunities.
Today the membership is statewide and is comprised of both non-profit and for-profit organizations. The CBEC membership includes bicycle clubs, one to three day special event rides and domestic week-long tours. In 2016, the CBEC expanded its membership to include both recreation and competitive events, across all biking types – road, mountain, cyclocross and social rides.
Specific goals and objectives of the professional coalition include:
- Establish event unity to protect access and maintenance of public roads
- Collaborate to achieve better roadway conditions and access
- Monitor, maintain and improve policies and processes at the state and local levels
- Establish a powerful, collective voice to address negative decisions at both state and local levels
- Share best practices – safety, interaction with government entities and other topics as appropriate
- Maintain the effectiveness of safety initiatives
- Streamline procedures with CDOT, Colorado State Patrol and other law enforcement agencies
- Provide a forum for guest speakers who are subject matter experts that impact cycling events
- Create an image nationally that Colorado is THE place to come for cycling events, increasing tourism in the state
- Explore practices in other states
- Further develop the view of Colorado as a bicycle-friendly environment
If you love to ride your bike, care to enhance and preserve great road cycling experiences in our state and oversee an “organized” bike event in Colorado, there is a seat at the table for you – and better yet – at nominal cost. CBEC annual membership is $150 and covers one event; additional events are $25 each. As a member of CBEC you’ll be a part of a distinguished group of industry leaders, have access to a number of professional resources and may promote your event through BikeState38.com.
Here are just a few of the many tools, resources and benefits:
- Organized Ride listing with personal landing page on BikeState38
- Calendar Listing; including Upcoming Events Feed on BikeState38
- Listing with a direct link to event domain under Upcoming Events on Electronic Newsletter
- Summer & Fall Coalition Socials
- Annual Coalition Business Conference / Meeting
- Password protected resources: CBEC Member Directory, Colorado Cycling Calendar List, Preferred Vendor List, CSP Regional Directory, CDOT District Map and Contacts, Rules of the Road, CDOT Bicycle Event Guide and the CBEC Best Practices Folder and Equipment Cache
Additional marketing assets through BikeState38, will be made available to CBEC members at a discounted rate. Promotional tools include but are not limited to: a featured ride widget with video, maps and testimonials; banner ads; event highlight in electronic newsletter; social media campaigns, direct e-blasts to BikeState38 membership; and advertising co-op buys.